Plenty of obnoxious clichés get thrown around in the gun culture, but the most annoying is, "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46!" I'm mildly surprised when the simpletons chanting that one manage not to drool on themselves in public. In fact, I am so weary of it that I'm going to rectify the situation. I'm going to make a .46 caliber handgun cartridge. Now, you might say that's a bad idea. Let me tell you something. When George Washington wanted to cross the Potomac and drive the British out of New Jersey, I'm pretty sure some folks told him that was a bad idea. But he proved them wrong, didn't he? He sent them packing all the way back to California. Smelly hippies. Without him, we'd be spelling words like "color" and "flavor" with a "u." I'm telling you, that man was a great American. What was I saying? Oh, yeah. I plan on calling the cartridge the .46 Ginormous Action Tactical. A serious load deman...
Last Friday, I had a very interesting conversation with a war correspondent from the UK Daily Mirror. He's been embedded with the SAS in Afghanistan. He's seen his share of guns, and he's done some shooting. Personally, he's not fond of them, but nor is he hostile. In fact, he mentioned that gun crime is on the rise in London, and he wondered aloud if England's strict gun laws might be the cause rather than the solution. This was going to be a very interesting conversation, indeed.
I wrote briefly about the Congressional amicus curiae brief [pdf] in support of the petitioners in McDonald v. Chicago when it was submitted. We saw a great deal of support from both sides of the political spectrum, but one signature was notable for its glaring omission: Ron Paul. I'd been wondering about that, and Howard Nemerov was able to get a statement from Dr. Paul's office: Congressman Paul’s DC office said he didn’t sign the brief because he believes that it interferes with state’s rights, whose policies shouldn’t be dictated by the federal government. Let's get a few things straight here, people. First off, states do not have rights. Like any other government, they have powers that are delegated to them by the people. Only people have rights. Second, the 14th Amendment does not conflict with the 10th, and in no way does it interfere with the agendas of individual state governments.
Comments
Post a Comment